Friday, March 8, 2013

All you need is love.

I view my book characters as children. Like a parent, I control their faith. I can either screw them up or transform them into a person who can positively change the world. I put myself into my characters, and even though they are their own unique human beings, they will always carry a piece of me with them. And I will always carry a piece of them with me. And one day, when I've finished my story or novel, I will have to say goodbye to them. And that will probably be one of the most bittersweet moments of my life.

And you know what? I've learned that I am an overprotective writer,  when it comes to my characters. And I will admit one of my dozens of weaknesses as a writer:

I can't write emotional romance. 

You see, my characters are special to me, and I don't want to expose them to the heartbreak and heartache they will experience in the big, bad world of writing. Sure, they can be near-shot to death, or be forced to survive two weeks without food. 

But that's physical pain. It gets better. Emotional pain doesn't. 

And physical romance? God, that itself is its own story. 

*cut to scene of me reading [insert name of YA romance novel]* 

"Oh god, no! It's too early! They barely even know each other! What if they break up? Why would you kiss someone you're going to break up with in the future?! If they're not the right one, why kiss them? *shudders*" 

I do not consider myself as a cynical human being. But in terms of love, I am. Especially when it comes to writing. I have attempted to seek this same dilemma in other writers' lives. But it seems as though I am the only one.

So if you see me shuddering while at the laptop, you know what kind of scene I'm trying to write. 

No comments:

Post a Comment